Saturday, March 28, 2009

Ray Hunt

I am a fan of natural horsemanship. I don't think it's the only method of training that works nor do I adhere to all the pratices of NH. But, my horses and I have really benefited from the foundation of NH which has essentially taught us how to communicate with one another.

If you're a fan of NH then you've probably heard the name Ray Hunt mentioned in more than a few clinics and workshops. He's known to to be the father of NH.

Ray passed away on March 12th and I couldn't let his passing go without a little note.

Although I wasn't lucky enough to have been to one of his clinics, I see his hand of influence on so many of the trainers that are out there now. His methods of patience, softness and respect resound with so many of us that struggle to make ourselves and our horses better creatures.
Ray was a big support of the theraputic riding programs and thus the family is requesting that donations be made to the Ray Hunt Memorial fund which supports programs dedicated to horseback riding for people with disabilities.
Here's a snippet from his website:

In lieu of flowers, donations should be made to the Ray Hunt Memorial Fund
administered by the Capital Area Therapeutic Riding Association. It will be used
solely in support of programs dedicated to horseback riding for people with
disabilities. Ray was impressed by how the horses were able to impact
people with disabilities in such dynamic ways and this program really meant a
lot to him. All donations are tax deductible. For more information
on CATRA please go the website:
catra.net or contact Ben Nolt 717 – 649 – 9822. Capital Area Therapeutic Riding Association, Inc. is a Not-For-Profit Organization
Recognized by the Internal Revenue Service.
CATRA, PO Box 339
Grantville, PA. 17028-0339

I'm thankful for people like Ray that dedicate their lives to passing their knowledge and experience to those of us that wait to soak it up.
And, my horses are thankful too!

No comments: