Monday, March 23, 2009

Mustang Motiviation

I don't know how many of you had a chance to watch the Mustang Makeover at the Horse Expo last weekend, but let me tell you, it was inspiring!

I was lucky enough to watch on Saturday and was blown away by some of the horses and trainers. After 90 days, most of the horses could switch leads, had beautiful collection, could work cows, and one even laid down on command.

Hmmm .... I should be ashamed! Granted I'm not a trainer, but my goodness, I've had my horses for 5+ years and we're lucky to just now be working on leads and lead changes!

I find it motivating that these trainers were able to take wild horses and turn them into amazing mounts in such a short period of time.

Surely that means I should be able to get my already gentled (sometimes) horse to do some of the same things. Or, at the very least, to switch leads when asked!

Most of the trainers were from right here in the Northwest and the horses all came from BLM land in Oregon. At the end of the event, all the horses were sold and went to approved, loving homes.

I was humbled, inspired, and motivated watching this event. If you get a chance to watch an event like this in the future, I would highly recommend it.

Perhaps, as it did with me, it will inspire you to get down to the barn to work with your horse!

No comments: