Thursday, March 26, 2009

A little bit of this ... a little bit of that

I'm a big fan of "horse multi-tasking". What I mean is that I want my horse to be well-rounded and able to handle any number of different sports and activities. This is primarily because that's how I am and I want a horsey-partner that can adapt to my changing mood.

We're all blessed to be living in a very active horse community where horse multi-tasking is a very real possibility.

We have beautiful trails that we can use year round, cow events at many different venues, drill teams, gaming, barrel racing, jumping, dressage ... well, you name it and it's probably happening somewhere in our county.

Along these lines though, I recently started sorting at the Silver Buckle on Thursday nights. It's a great environment to get your horse used to cows (beginners are welcome). It's a laid back atmosphere where horse and rider have plenty of opportunities to learn and play.

If you aren't sure of the rules, just ask! The group is great and willing to answer any questions you might have.

The activities start promptly at 7:00 pm so arrive around 6:30 pm to pay ($20 for 4 goes) and get settled in. If you don't have a partner, don't worry. There are lots of people that come each week that need partners so they'll be glad to find someone for you to ride with.

Just make sure you give Bryan (he's the gate guy) your name so that you're on the ride list. Or, like I found out my first night, you might be standing around on deck for an awfully long time!

In my opinion, sorting is a great way to get your horse in shape while keeping their mind occupied and alert. I don't know about you, but I'm gearing up for a great summer and that means I need to start getting my horse out now so that we're ready for warmer weather!

Anyway, I'll be there this week and hope to see some new faces!

No comments: