Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Ode to Bailing Twine

Bailing twine is a staple in every barn across the country. The orange or blue strings have so many uses.

So, this post is dedicated to bailing twine - the under-appreciated, often ignored, yet super handy tool all horse owners love to hate.

Here are a few of the ways bailing twine adds value to my horse life.

1) Emergency barn fixes - hang a gate quickly, fix a stall front, tie panels together, etc. Basically, patchwork things together until I can get to the tack store for supplies.

2) Hair Accessory - There's nothing worse than working in the barn and having your hair flopping in your face so when I've forgotten a rubber band, I tie it in a knot with bailing twine. No one said you had to be stylin' while at the barn, right?

3) Saddle Bag Ties - I can cut it, re-cut it, then cut it off the saddle so I love to use bailing twine to hold my saddle bags to my saddle for those long trail rides.

4) Makeshift reins - this isn't something I'd recommend but once on a trail ride the screw on my reins disappeared so I used a piece of twine to finish out the ride.

5) Hay Bale Opener - Twine cuts through twine when friction is applied so when I can't find my hay knife, I grab the twine and open bales that way.

How do you use bailing twine? Do you love it? Hate it? Or love to hate it? Drop a comment and fill me in.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I once test drove a horse and the guys saddle was held together with bailing twine.