Thursday, July 24, 2008

GPS and the Trail

It's getting harder and harder to get my trail riding schedule to match up with my friend's trail riding schedules. However, I just can't seem to let these nice days pass me by without striking out on a ride or two and so I've found myself hitting the trails alone.

Normally, I don't bat an eye at going to Battle Ground Lake or Whipple Creek alone but lately my adventurous side has been pushing me towards Rock Creek, the Elk Reserve ... essentially, further out and more rural ... also known as "the boonies".

Probably the worst thing about this whole riding alone thing is that I have a horrible sense of direction. I can generally find my way home eventually but the thought that there might be a time when I can't find my way home ... well, that scares me.

So, to keep myself on track, I purchased a Garmin GPS (Global Positioning System).

After getting it installed, downloading maps, and setting up waypoints (or a starting point), I was anxious to try this little bugger out.

Today I started at Rock Creek Campground and meandered along the North Tarbell Trail. I rode that direction for approximate three miles before I ran across signs that the trail was closed for herbicide spraying. So, I turned back around, went back through Rock Creek, and took the Southern Tarbell Trail for another two miles. All told, Buttons (my mare) and I went approximately 10 miles.

Here are some other cool stats my GPS was able to tell me.

Our average speed was 4 mph. She went between 2 and 3 mph when we were going away from the truck and 3 to 4 mph back to the truck. Sneaky little girl!

Our top speed was 10 mph but it was a short lived canter as the road got pretty rocky and I didn't want to risk a stone bruise. But ... for a whole 113 feet, she was a speed racer!

And the coolest thing the GPS recorded was the exact direction I needed to head in order to get back to my truck. I'm attaching an image of the final trip.

The green path on the image to the left is my route and in the middle of that is the Waypoint marker I added to help me find my way back to the truck.

On the ride, I was able to reference this point as well as the trail I'd already ridden to tell me which trail I needed to take when options were presented.

After today's successful adventure, I really see the GPS becoming a staple in my trail gear and I would highly suggest that anyone else hitting the trail alone get one as well.

No comments: