Saturday, August 16, 2008

You're never too old ...

Do you know what I love about watching the equestrian portion of the Olympics? It's one of the only sports in the Olympic games where age and experience are considered benefits.

I mean, in gymnastics if there's a 16-yr-old competing, the commentators often say that she's old for the sport and most likely this is the end of her Olympic career. Really? Wow.

But, yesterday as I was watching the jumping portion of the equestrian games, I was pleasantly surprised to see a 60 year old man making his Olympic debut. The commentators stated that age and experience are considered benefits in equesterian sports. It's about darn time!

In addition, there's a 67 year old man on the Japanese equestrian team.

I find that amazing and I love hearing things like that.

It makes me feel like a spring chicken and gosh-darn-it ... if a 67-year-old man can go out there and ride his heart out at the Olympics ... well ... then at 31 I should be able to get my horse out on a trail ride occasionally!

Yeah!

But maybe I'll do it tomorrow.

Now, off to watch more Olympics.

Happy trails!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, this guy is 73, and still training horses, and teaching the most modern styles of riding and horse handling.

Yes, that's me, Donald Redux

If you are curious, you can see my photo and video albums at - (don't miss the guest password below)

http://photobucket.com/guestlogin?albumUrl=http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/ff51/donald_redux/

or http://tinyurl.com/6sabeh

guest password is 'haumea'

Anonymous said...

Love to see others doing what I am.

At 73 I'm teaching, training, and doing behavioral rehab with horses again, after a 30 plus year layoff. And better than ever.

My methods were too advanced for my time, and now that I'm back with a new look, I find I once again have moved out to the frontier with AND horse partnering methods.

You can see some of my work, past and present, at my photobucket album at:

http://tinyurl.com/6sabeh

The guest password is 'haumea.'

And 'play' is the theme of my horse training, as you can see from my silly games with horses.

Donald Redux

Anonymous said...

Hey, Donald, That's very insipiring! Thanks for writing in to let us know that even at 73 you can still "play" horsey!